Frequently Asked Questions
What are the eligibility criteria for Weatherization?|
Homeowners or renters must reside in Luzerne County.
- The household income must fall within established Poverty Income Guidelines set by the Department of Community and Economic Development Office of Community Services.
- Households who are eligible under the Low-Income Heating Energy Assistance Program and those households which receive payments under Title XVI (SSI) or Title IV (TANF) are auto-eligible with regard to income eligibility.
- The residence has not been previously weatherized since September 30, 1994.
Which applicants are prioritized?|
Each weatherization agency is required to give priority to
- Elderly persons
- Persons with disabilities
- Families with children
- Households with high energy consumption
- Households with high energy burden
- Households who receive LIHEAP Crisis Assistance
Is there a cost to me or to my landlord?|
The weatherization measures are provided at no cost to the homeowner or tenant. If you are a renter, your landlord will be required to sign an agreement allowing you to participate in the weatherization program. If the heat and/or electric is provided by the landlord, the landlord may be required to contribute a percentage of the installed materials and labor costs.
What weatherization measures will my residence receive?|
Each residence is independently audited using a blower door and audit tool. Depending on the dwelling, a residence may be eligible for measures such as additional insulation, weather-stripping, window caulking, door sweeps, clean and service of the heating unit, and water conservation measures.
After qualifying, how long will it be before my home is weatherized?|
Generally, we can weatherize a home within 6 months of an approved application. We are currently have a wait list for applications.
If a previous tenant at my residence received weatherization, can I qualify?|
If the residence has been weatherized since September 30, 1994, we cannot come back in at this time. The state weatherizes the dwelling, not the tenant.
How do I apply?|
Contact our agency at 570-288-8458 or 1-800-822-0359 Monday through Friday. We will ask for some general information to assess whether you may qualify. All information is kept confidential.